M. Hockey edged in two nail-biters

By Daphne Assimakopoulos ’17

While the snow came barreling down on the Hill last weekend, the men’s ice hockey team took on both Bowdoin and Colby in well fought games.

On Friday, the Continentals gave the fourth-place Bowdoin Polar Bears a scare, but ultimately fell 3-2. Hamilton took an early lead, scoring 8:16 into the first period when Truman Landowski ’17 netted it off of an assist from Mike DiMare ’14.

Hamilton further solidified their lead when Evan Haney ’14 scored his third point of the season, just 34 seconds into the second period, unassisted. The crowd roared in Sage Rink in support of the Buff and Blue, elated with the two-point lead.

However, less than two minutes later, Bowdoin’s Matt Rubinoff ’16 started closing the gap off of a power play. Colin Downey ’14 tied the game up at two shortly after on a shorthanded goal.

The game got physical when the scores tied as both teams battled for the edge. Hard hits were coming from both sides, and Hamilton gained one power play while Colby gained two.

With just 56 seconds remaining in the second period, Colby’s Harry Matheson ’14 took the lead, barely beating out Hamilton’s goaltender Zach Arnold ’15.

Arnold recorded a total of 33 saves, bringing his percentage up to .920. For the game, Hamilton outshot Bowdoin 40-36.

The upperclassmen on the hockey team have been solidifying the team dynamic all season, helping newer members to assimilate to the competitive atmosphere of NESCAC hockey.

Coach Rob Haberbusch commented, “The upperclassmen care a great deal about the success of the team.  They are setting a great example with their commitment and expectation to win”.

On Saturday, the Continentals took on fifth-place Colby and forced  overtime, but ultimately fell 3-2.

Hamilton took advantage of a power play right out of the gate, and got the early lead off a shot from Pat Curtis and assists from Robbie Murden ’17 and Marko Brelih ’15.

Colby tied it up halfway through the second period, and took the lead two minutes after that.

Pat Curtis ’15 came through yet again to knot the score up at two off of assists from Kenny Matheson ’16 and Mike DiMare ’14.

The Continentals stayed strong through the third period, with goal tender Charlie Fennell ’17 turning away all 12 shots on goal.

The game moved into overtime, with both teams ready to pounce and fight it out for a victory. Despite a valiant effort on the Continentals part, the Colby College Mules won off of a shot from Ben Chwik ’14. This was the third overtime win for Colby this season.

Despite the loss, Hamilton held Colby 0 for 7 on the power play, continuing their trend of strong defense while shorthanded. Hamilton also outshot Colby 33 to 28.

The Continentals still have a chance to compete in the NESCAC tournament. Coach Haberbusch stated that, “we want to be playing our best hockey come playoff time and compete for the NESCAC Championship”.

In order to qualify, Hamilton must move from their current spot at ninth in the NESCAC to eighth.

Moving forward the Continentals will host their last weekend series on the 15th and 16th. They are taking on last place Tufts on Friday, and seventh place Connecticut College on Saturday.

If all goes well, the men’s ice hockey team could be competing in the playoffs into early April.


No comments yet.

All Sports